More than 4,000 people have been hospitalized in the province due to Covid-19.
Spokesman Kwara Kekana said the private sector currently accounts for the majority of hospitalizations.
“We are also seeing a growing number of people under investigation, particularly in the West Rand and City of Johannesburg districts,” Kekana said.
The country entered the third wave of infections earlier this week.
Gauteng alone has nearly 50,000 active cases and has recorded more than 11,000 Covid-related deaths.
Johannesburg, Tshwane and Ekurhuleni remain problematic neighborhoods.
“We have adopted a risk and demand responsive strategy to optimize our response to the third wave of Covid-19 and the Covid pandemic in general,” said Kekana.
“The provincial government’s priority has been to add more permanent beds to the Gauteng health care system because it is a long-term investment. In addition to the newly built infrastructure in areas such as the Chris Hani Baragwanath University Hospital, Jubilee Hospital and Bronkhorstspruit Hospital, wards and beds are still being reallocated according to the demands of the pandemic at the time. . “
President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to address the nation on Tuesday evening as cluster outbreaks in schools and public gatherings fuel the blaze.
“The province continues to monitor compliance with Covid-19 measures in communities, schools and other public spaces,” Kekana adds.
READ ALSO :