Johannesburg (AFP) – CAF President Patrice Motsepe believes Africa can succeed where Europe has failed and launch a Super League, according to a statement released by the continental organization on Sunday.
“We have followed the attempts of some big European clubs to form a Super League and will learn from their experiences and their traps,” said the South African.
“In this regard, we are evaluating and entering into preliminary discussions to launch an inclusive, widely supported and beneficial African Super League. “
The backlash from supporters prevented Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Inter Milan and Juventus from recently launching a Super League.
But Motsepe is moving forward after FIFA President Gianni Infantino told CAF officials last year he was favoring 20 permanent African Super League members and additional contenders in qualifying.
Infantino did not say how the Super League might work and whether it would complement or replace the current top club competition, the CAF Champions League.
He suggested, however, that each permanent member should contribute $ 20 million per year – a goal even the wealthiest African clubs would struggle to achieve.
The Champions League and CAF Confederation Cup prize money was supposed to increase for the 2021/2024 cycle, but Motsepe made no mention of an increase.
The champions are currently pocketing $ 2.5m (€ 2.1m) and the Confederation Cup winners $ 1.25m and even clubs that go all the way have complained about not break even, travel being a huge expense.
Motsepe said television rights were receiving “serious attention,” with the Johannesburg-based pan-African station SuperSport not showing CAF national team or club games since mid-2019 due to a canceled contract.
CAF dropped a billion dollar television and marketing contract with French company Lagardère Sports two years ago after two courts ruled it was wrongly awarded.
AFP understands that many African officials were angry that CAF got $ 1 billion for a 12-year contract while Asia received $ 4 billion for an eight-year contract that did not involve Lagardère .
Motsepe reiterated that the poor condition of some stadiums was another priority, with CAF recently telling nine nations that the venues proposed for the 2022 World Cup qualifiers did not meet international standards.